Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

In the aftermath of the Fort Hood shootings, Veterans Day seems a little more immediate than usual.  That shouldn’t be the case for we always have men and women in the armed forces serving around the world protecting our country and way of life.  Less visible are those who have served honorably and returned to civilian life, but my gratitude is just as great for their service.

After Vietnam, a lot of people turned against our soldiers and I remember the slow turnaround of that attitude in the 1980’s under President Reagan. Lately it has been a mixed bag as the country has polarized over Iraq and Afghanistan.  But I hope I’m correct in feeling that the majority of the country at least respects our fine service personnel.  Reading about the strange mugging of an Army reservist gives me hope.

No comments: