Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Testing Is a Good Thing

Nope, I’m not writing about the scandal of Atlanta teachers cheating on test scores to make themselves and their classes look better. What I’m writing about is about personal testing of one’s limits. All too often we skate by through life without seeing where we are and what we can really achieve.

That’s actually quite a broad topic, so for the sake of brevity it will be narrowed down to one example. A personal one at that.

In a recent post, I mentioned how my times in Yahoo crossword puzzles had been doubled while I had the respiratory infection. While the puzzles are being used to sharpen my rusty word skills, they serve another purpose as well. That is to see how well my brain is functioning that day. Cognition is something heavily affected by CFS and while I can usually tell how well I’m doing there, it isn’t always the case. So a more objective test on a daily basis is helpful to see how I’m doing and assist me when I’m waffling about how alert I’m being.

Previously, I’d been using a game called Audiosurf on the Steam game service to judge how well my physical reflexes (and to a lesser degree, alertness) were doing on a given day. Having fallen out of that habit, today is the first day of reinstituting that test alongside the crossword puzzles. It is a fun game, especially since I only play on Mono Pro setting to avoid real aggravation. Since it also uses music from the player’s personal collection to generate the “roads”, the soundtrack is always good.

Testing my capabilities each day helps me assess and allocate my energy for the day. Energy management is a must with CFS. Overextending causes lengthy setbacks which require far too much down time to recover from. While unavoidable in general, limiting the severity increases what you can do in the long term.

Today was a fairly good day on both tests with the mind sharp enough and the reflexes at my normal level. Those mistakes were rust from not playing in a long time, I tell you!

No comments: