Tuesday, August 23, 2011

An Interesting Start to a Day

Despite a bad night with intermittent sleep, I had to get up early to get out the door in a somewhat awake condition. Why?  My state senator, Jeremy Miller, was having a coffee and conversation meeting in Caledonia at 7:30 AM. Forget campaign rallies and debates, these kinds of interactions with the public are the best to attend.

It was a low turnout compared to last year, but that was a campaign year and Jeremy wasn’t in office yet. As Sen. Miller quipped, it is probably a good sign. When people are mad at you, they show up in numbers. Fortunately for those of us in Senate District 31, he’s been doing a great job in office.

One of the local township officers was there and so the conversation was dominated by tax and aid issues. These are more complex than most people realize and affect us a great deal in the area. The delicate balance of state, county, township, and municipal budgets is always a thorny issue with things being made more difficult by the ongoing financial problems of the time.

While it might be boring to some, I enjoy having a glimpse of the nuts and bolts of how government funding and expenditures work. Every time I hear Kermit talk about the local infrastructure funding issues, I learn something new and he gave Jeremy plenty to think about too.

Our rookie senator continues to impress me with his command of the facts and willingness to truly listen. All politicians learn to at least pretend to listen, but Miller really does listen. How do I know that? Because I’ve heard issues raised at meetings like this and then heard well thought out positions on them later on from him – and now legislative action as well. Gotta love that.

There was a reporter from WXOW Channel 19 there and I hope I remember to check the news tonight to see if the story airs.

No comments: