Thursday, August 18, 2011

This, That, and the Other Thing

Life hasn’t been boring this month. As a result, I’m behind on some things including reviews to post. Notes are taken and even screen captures in some cases so I need to get moving on them.

Being a long term planner kind of guy, the list of things to review is getting longer than I’d like and so there will be more spontaneous ones popping up like the Gamera the Invincible review. In fact, the next movie after Thirteen Days will be one I didn’t expect to do. Summer Wars is a rare non studio Ghibli theatrical anime that should appeal to a wide range of viewers.

More music reviews will happen and I plan to review the original The Prisoner television series. That one will be quite an undertaking given all the layers of social commentary involved in Patrick McGoohan’s magnum opus. Meanwhile, the occasional early years Bleach episode review will be my fall back while putting together other reviews.

Something that amuses me is how I go through phases of being interested in various things. My current fad is finding worthwhile anime amongst all the dross out there. It is already waning, but like every other interest of mine it won’t completely disappear. I still like building model aircraft, shooting guns, collecting good literature, watching foreign films, and photography. All are past phases that I got into heavily for a period.

One that is fading greatly is video gaming. That used to be one of my main ways of killing time due to my health, but it just doesn’t appeal much to me anymore. I find myself purchasing bargain games at very low price via online sales, starting the games… and never finishing them. It isn’t that they are bad games, in fact they are very good ones. They simply do not attract me anymore.

Part of it may be me slowly ramping the writing up and the time that consumes. Maybe I am just getting old.

Back to writing…

No comments: