Thursday, August 23, 2012

Movie Illiteracy

Hello to the few who read this blog!

This will be a short post while I continue writing a longer one which has brought a question to mind: Does anyone under 50 have any familiarity with classic movies these days?

I ask this because I will often mention a movie to someone below forty and get a blank look. These are not obscure movies and include:
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Doctor Zhivago
  • Bridge Over the River Kwai
  • Zulu
  • Casablanca
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Citizen Kane

And many more I could list. Hollywood is in a downturn and has been for some time, mainly due to the dreck they insist on putting out. The latest fad it to watch HBO or Showtime for original series rather than theatrical releases due to the supposed superior quality. I've sampled those series and am unimpressed, to put it lightly.

Since I am not film illiterate and something of a buff, it would be considered my problem, not theirs by the consumers of current film and television. But I wonder if they would have a different attitude if they were versed in classic films of yesteryear?

4 comments:

internetbites said...

I am proud to say that by age 25, I have seen all the films on this list except for Gone With the Wind (I turned it off because I found Scarlet to be unbearable), and The Maltese Falcon (due to a lack of access to it), though I only saw the remake of Dr Zhivago, but found it rather good anyway (for a remake).

Patrick D. Boone said...

I was in my late thirties before I saw Gone With the Wind, mostly because my late mother refused to allow it to be seen. It was a badge of pride that she had never seen it, oddly enough.

It was something of a shock to realize it was a good film.

I can loan you The Maltese Falcon, BTW.

Hanny said...

I have heard of all of them, but only have only seen 'Zulu' (Twice. Love it.) and 'Gone with the Wind.' I did read 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom' though, so does that count for 'Lawrence of Arabia?'

Patrick D. Boone said...

I am afraid it does not count for film literacy, but you score points for traditional literacy.

It is a very good movie, but rather long and slow moving in places. Like all classics, it still influences film making and acting today. One of the stars of Prometheus based his performance off of Peter O'Toole's for instance. Check it out to see how it jibes with the real man's account.