Saturday, March 30, 2013

Ten Years Gone

For many Christian people this is Easter weekend and a time to reflect on the Savior’s great sacrifice for all of mankind. For me it is something more and that’s the tenth anniversary of my mother’s death. Much has changed since then and some things not at all.

It is odd how it seems so recent and at the same time longer than a decade ago. Her death was the kind of thing that should have left reoccurring nightmares behind for my father and me, but did not – at least in my case.

Knowing the anniversary was approaching, I’ve been collecting movies that were among her favorites and part of family tradition for the past year. Some we already had on DVD or were on VHS, but many only became available in modern formats since her death.

So tonight we watched one of her favorite comedies, Raising Arizona. While I didn’t plan to do that, it kind of happened anyway much like the unplanned events that happen to the hapless protagonists of the film. I think my mother would have approved.

No comments: