Friday, May 03, 2013

Nook HD to Get Google Play!

This is very good news for owners of Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets. Barnes & Noble is not doing well and there was talk of spinning the Nook off from the main company if a buyer could be found. That would have meant being locked into their software and content store which could go under at any moment.

Instead the full Google App experience is going to come to the Nook HD:

Faster Web Browsing with Chrome: As Web browsing continues to be among the most popular tablet activities, NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ now feature the Chrome browser for fast start up and page loading and an unlimited number of tabs open at once. Customers can even sync bookmarks across any device with Chrome.

Google Search, Gmail, YouTube and Google Maps: Customers will have instant access to Google Search, Gmail, YouTube and Google Maps, now built in to NOOK HD or NOOK HD+. Sync calendars across multiple devices and check email from any account including Exchange, Yahoo! and Hotmail.

This will be rather nice since it will all work with the built in user interface, which I like but cannot use in my semi-hacked Nook HD. Apex Launcher has been installed to allow access to my non B&N apps. I’ve actually been using Google Play since early January and for the most part it has worked well. One thing that I hope is improved is compatibility checks with apps. Some don’t understand that the Nook HD is more than powerful enough to run them.

I use my Nook HD everyday and love the thing. Fast, light, and a beautiful screen in a 7” format have made it my perfect tablet for reading, research, and Sunday school teaching. Have I mentioned I love the thing?

No comments: