Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Going for the Hat Trick

I said I wouldn’t build or buy a new computer until it was possible to get three times the performance of my upgraded old warhorse. Opportunity came knocking and initial results are in…

PassmarkComparison

Benchmarks were not done under perfectly clean circumstances because I wanted something closer to real world performance reflected. Dropbox and other utilities were running at the time. Also, the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 actually performs better now once I found the hardware fan settings were too low. Setting a new software profile changed its performance a great deal so it would be a full five stars now.

Benchmarks increased by the following multipliers:

  • Passmark Rating 3.57
  • CPU Mark 2.95
  • 2D Graphics Mark 2.11
  • 3D Graphics Mark 2.56
  • Memory Mark 3.74
  • Disk Mark 8.27

The focus was on CPU and memory speed rather than gaming benches since I consider myself a power user foremost. Video and image editing is incredibly fast now. Games are through the roof, of course, but less impressive than the multitasking boost.

I’ll post more about the build down the road a bit.

No comments: