Saturday, August 03, 2013

The Wolverine in Theater Review

The opportunity to go see The Wolverine with a friend presented itself this weekend, so I decided to journey out for the occasion. Promises of Thai food had nothing to do with it, or so I’ll claim. It was entertaining if not as nuanced and filling as the meal beforehand.

To understand where I come from in this short review, please understand that I though Wolverine: Origins was one of the worst superhero movies ever made. Even Daredevil was better and I will speak of it no further, for I do not wish to relive the trauma.

My introduction to Logan aka Wolverine was finding the first issue of his 1982 miniseries in a drug store in tiny Spring Grove, Minnesota. Though a big comic book fan, I didn’t know the X-Men at all and that Frank Miller miniseries was a mind blowing experience. Combing aspects of film noir and Japanese art house movies it contributed to my becoming fans of both.

So Hugh Jackman finally got his wish and got the story from the miniseries adapted for the latest movie to my interest. The end result was a mixed bag as the plot fails to be coherent in places and the ending fight is simply one fight too many. However, the cast was excellent and how I wish they could have done a straight adaptation given the uniformly excellent performances.

Jackman simply is Logan to most people, but I’ll say this is the character I remember from the 1980’s on screen for the first time. The wounded ronin tired of living a life of loss and finding his reason for being was what made the 1982 comic book so interesting. Likewise, the story here gives us a much more fascinating and human Wolverine.

I should point out the actresses dominate this movie. Mariko, Yukio, and Viper are all strong characters played with style by their respective portrayers. It is hard to feel sorry for Logan when he has such women to interact with, I must say. Of the many changes from the original story, there is one I approve of: the softening of Yukio’s personality. Never a fan of her in the comics, I loved this version of her.

If you are a fan of Asian martial arts cinema, you will enjoy the fight scenes for they do go somewhat over the top while not going too far.  Without giving away too much, I’ll say some of them were overlong and the film could have lost ten minutes and been much leaner. The much advertised train battle was much better than I expected.

Something I’ve noticed lately is that superhero and other blockbuster movies this year are having third act problems. Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness, and The Wolverine all feature violent battles at the end that lack any genuine emotion or suspense. They are very fill in the blank in the way they’re written, not just formulaic. For examples of how to do it right, see the Chris Nolan Batman trilogy, Man of Steel, Captain America, Star Trek, and even Pacific Rim.

Anyway, the movie came in fourth on my list of X-Men movies, behind X-Men: First Class, X-Men 2, and X-Men.

The movie is entertaining and great fun for action fans, comic book nerds, and Japanese film buffs. Be warned there is profanity with the F-bomb deployed once and blood. Not suitable for small kids in the least.

No comments: