Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Christmas Post

It’s 9:08 PM on Christmas Eve and I’ve got nothing in the way of inspiration for this post. Christmas with the Rat Pack is playing on Media Monkey, my head feels like its filled with cotton, and I’m suffering from dizziness.

Being a devout Mormon, no eggnog is involved. Bad health is, but I’m still counting my blessings since things could be far worse.

For some reason the shepherds in the hills being told of Christ’s birth has been haunting my mind the last few days. Why would a heavenly choir appear to those relatively poor denizens near Bethlehem? The meek may be the ones to inherit the Earth, yet why them?

After spending forty odd years on the planet, it has struck me how self important the powerful and well off are. By well off, I mean anybody who doesn’t have to scrabble to just survive, which excludes most Americans of the current age. I watch people wandering around lost in their own worlds and wonder if they’d even notice such a thing happening.

Even if they did, they’d attribute it to their own importance. Bah, humbug to vanity, I say.

Sometime much later after gaming with younger friends…

Another random thought: With all the focus on gifts, shopping, and decorations, there is a worrying element of losing perspective to Christmas. So I won’t be hoping for loot for myself, that’s for kids.

My wish is that everyone who reads this post will have a merry (or happy for the Brits) Christmas filled with comfort, joy, and love. That’s what it is supposed to be about, after all. That which is material must fade to dust over time, but true friends and family can be eternal. So let us be grateful for those we care about in our lives and for those who don’t have that, I especially wish that you find caring people in the days to come.

2 comments:

TheArtistAsian said...

In your post, you mentioned how important the "the powerful and well off" feel about themselves. The truth is that only the people live kind and charitable lives are truly the most important people. Hope you didn't dwell too much on that thought during your Christmas.

Patrick D. Boone said...

Indeed, the kind and loving who give of their time and material substance are of true status rather than self perceived status. They are the ones remembered lovingly by others.

Fortunately for me, I've been ill all Christmas so there was no dwelling on much of anything except for gratitude for having warmth, shelter, and food. Being rendered low does have a silver lining if you look at the clouds from the right angle. So if anyone sees me walking down the street with my head cocked at a strange attitude, I'm just trying to look at things from a different angle.