Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Testing the FujiFilm HS25EXR, Part 2

More fooling around without a clue in order to see Fuji’s camera can do. As will become obvious, there is a lot to be learned yet. More photos and even a video only scratch the surface of what this far too capable mid-sized digital camera is capable of.

DuskReal Dusk

Ever behind on the times due to a lack of money, I feel like I’m constantly reinventing the wheel. It doesn't help I've forgotten everything about photography in the past five years. Due to dependency on automatic settings, pictures are never quite what I hope for, so expect to do better than this if you get your hands on the HS25EXR or one of its close relatives in the HS family.

In my previous post, I mentioned how post processing is needed to get good results. Spoiled by my Canon’s producing great results straight out of the viewfinder makes this a new experience. The two unaltered (other than resizing) shots above are a good illustration of why EXR mode is threatening my sanity.

The one on the left was taken in EXR mode with the sun nearly set. Doesn't look like it at all in the photo, does it? Too much automation with an emphasis of lightening based on the theory that people are always needing more light is problematic. As the photo on the right shows, Program or Manual modes are needed to capture actual lighting if you are attempting a more moody and faithful rendition of a scene. That’s what it really looked like to the naked eye.

Portable Fire PitCampfire

Hammering that home was an experiment I’d never tried, which is photographing fire. On the left is EXR mode and on the right is Program mode. Quite the difference was noted even before simple adjustments to contrast. Even so, I’m impressed that the HS25EXR is able to capture flames as well as this. A tripod should be used the next time an attempt is made since the camera has enough to handle with my shaky hands.

Log in the Fire

Automatic mode netted results approximately halfway between the other two modes after editing. It shades closer to EXR not surprisingly.

Como Falls Park

A trip taking my father to a medical appointment and oil change provided an unexpected opportunity to get some pics of a lovely hidden park in the small town of Hokah, Minnesota. With no lens shade, flares were an issue thanks to a low sun that morning. Methinks I need to get one in the near future. I have the right size (58mm) in large, heavy aluminum though not meeting the portability factor desired.

If there had been more time, Panorama mode would have been tested which would really show off the appeal of the tiny Como Falls Park. It’s a remnant of an artificial lake that filled in during the early 20th century and is nestled behind the local fire station.

Como Falls EXRComo Falls Automatic

EXR and Automatic modes are still a little washed out even after adjusting. Program mode looks much better.

Small WaterfallDad on Bridge

Ignoring the flares, the photos are improving as more experience is gained with the camera. There are so many modes to test yet and not enough time or good light to do so at the moment. A quick snap of Dad turned out far better than it had any right to, so the camera is beginning to really impress me.

Scarred Hill

On the other side of the county a day earlier I found myself wishing I could conquer the autofocus when taking landscape photos. The settings are there, somewhere.

This is the scar from a mudslide caused by the June 2013 torrential rains and subsequent flooding.  Nearby is Whispering Hills Girl Scout Camp in western Houston County which was severely damaged and may not reopen.

Cemetery

On the same road is a small church with a cemetery. Close to home, yet unfamiliar to me it became a stop when my very bored father insisted on getting out of the house Sunday. It didn't matter that I was sick, we had to go for a drive. Given that the camera goes with me everywhere, pictures were taken of the cemetery which dates back to 1876. Visiting isolated cemeteries was a thing in my immediate family years ago, so this felt nostalgic despite the first time being there.

Tombstone

Still maintained, it could use some repairs to the grave markers. Some, such as this one, need careful cleaning and restoration. Others have toppled over and need resetting. It didn't appear anyone had been interred there since 1980.

Adaptive unsharp mask has been applied to both these photographs in addition to contrast enhancement. Fill in flash was used for the marker in an attempt to bring out the almost worn off engravings.

But what about the promised video testing? Okay, here it is:



The HS25EXR takes 1080p at 30 FPS and I was pleased in how it handed two very different environments. Select the camera mode, then hit record makes it incredibly simple to use while shooting photos. I didn't try filming with EXR at night and left it in Program mode.

No comments: